Skip to content

Adjustment of Status from ESTA/VWP

Rated 0 out of 5
(be the first to review)




.5 Washington MCLE Credit (Law & Legal)

If a foreign national comes to the U.S. on ESTA/VWP, is she elligible to adjust status to permanent resident? Learn the ropes in this program. CLE credit is available (.5 credits approved).

Under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) nationals of certain “low risk” countries are allowed to travel to the U.S. without a visa. These individuals register with the online Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) before traveling to the U.S. The INA provides that ESTA/VWP entrants are not eligible to adjust status, but there is an exception for immediate relatives.

Topics covered

  • Which ESTA/VWP entrants are eligible to adjust?
  • Can ESTA/VWP entrants adjust past the 90-day window? When and when not?
  • Common problems in ESTA/VWP adjustments.
  • Handling initial consultations with these clients.

Who should view this program?

  • Newer immigration attorneys and those unfamiliar with ESTA/VWP adjustments.
  • Attorneys considering expanding their practice to immigration law.

About the presenter

Greg McLawsen is the managing attorney of Sound Immigration. Greg frequently speaks locally and nationally on topics including immigration, law practice management, and legal ethics. His writings have appeared in Benders Immigration Bulletin, the Immigration Law and Procedure treatise, and numerous bar journals. Greg Chairs the Solo and Small Practice Section of the Washington State Bar Association, and is the law practice and technology chair of AILA’s Washington State Chapter.


There are no reviews yet.

Leave a customer review

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top