skip to Main Content

How to complete Part 2 of the N-400 (Information about you)

Part 2 begins by asking you to list every name you have ever used since the time of your birth. Your Current Legal Name will normally be the same as the name used on your Permanent Resident Card. Typically, the only reason it will be different is if you were married, divorced or had a court-ordered name change after becoming a permanent resident. Other Names Used Since Birth includes your maiden (unmarried) name, along with any nickname or alias you have ever used. For Item (3), if you have never used any name other than the name on your Permanent Resident Card mark N/A.

The N-400 appears to give you the option to change your name, but this is potentially misleading. You are able to complete a name change through the naturalization process only if a federal judge will be administering your oath of allegiance. For the vast majority of applicants that is not the case. If you want to change your name, typically the best course of action is to secure a local court order before filing the N-400 so that your naturalization certificate will be issued in your new name. In Washington State name change petitions are filed with District Court. Forms are not available on the Washington Courts website, but may be available from your local District Court.

For item (7), the date you became a permanent resident is indicated on your Lawful Permanent Resident card. For current cards this is designated under the words “Resident Since.”

Item (10) asks whether you are requesting disability accommodation at the time of your interview. For the vast majority of applicants the answer will be No. If you are hearing impaired, mobility impaired or vision impaired, mark the appropriate box. If there is another form of accommodation that you request, describe that in the box provided (“Require another type of accommodation”).

Item (11) asks whether you have a qualifying disability or impairment that exempts you from the English language and/or civics test. As described earlier in this Guide, to qualify for exemption you must provide an examination by a licensed medical professional using the Form N-648.

Item (12) asks if you qualify for testing exemption based on age plus time in the U.S. as a resident. (See earlier discussion in this Guide).

Greg McLawsen

I’m proud to be the founder of Sound Immigration. My job is to work behind the scenes to ensure our clients have an outstanding experience at our firm. I’m passionate about reinventing the practice of law to make it work better for those we serve. I work hard to identify the best available technology to make our firm convenient for clients. I look to other industries, like real estate and the restaurant business, to learn about practice that will help serve our clients better.

This Post Has 0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top