skip to Main Content

Fiance visa / K1 visa.

To initiate marriage-based consular processing a couple must be legally married, as further described below. In scenarios where the couple is engaged but not yet married, it often makes greater practical sense to pursue a fiance visa (also known as a K1 visa) instead of a marriage visa. Generally, the couple is required to have met in person within the two years prior to commencing the immigration process. Unlike marriage-based petitions, a fiance visa may be initiated only by a U.S. citizen; they are not available to U.S. permanent residents.

Understanding the fiance visa - k1 visa

Procedure for a fiance visa / K1 visa.

Immigration for fiance visa (K1 visa) follows roughly the same outline as marriage-based visas. The U.S. citizen petitioner starts the process by filing a Form I-129F Petition for Alien Fiancé(e). U.S. permanent residents are not eligible to file such petitions. Fiance visa petitions go through the same initial review by USCIS as the marriage petitions described above. Historically fiance visa petitions are adjudicated in significantly shorter time than marriage-based petitions. At the time of writing adjudication could be expected in two to four months.

Once the fiance visa petition is approved by USCIS the process varies slightly from marriage-based petitions. Instead of being sent first to the National Visa Center (NVC), the fiance visa case is forwarded directly to the appropriate U.S. consulate abroad. This direct line to the consulate may result in significant time savings given the stringent documentation requirements imposed by the NVC. The U.S. consulate will issue a letter to the foreign applicant, advising her of the documentation requirements required in her case. But unlike a marriage visa these documents need not be produced until the applicant appears for her in-person interview at the consulate. While a fiance visa is technically categorized as a non-immigrant (temporary) visa, the application is typically processed by the consular section responsible for immigrant (permanent) visas.

In fiance visa cases, the U.S. petitioner does not file the I-864 financial support contact until after the foreign spouse has entered the United States. Indeed, the consulate is expressly forbidden to require the Form I-864.  Instead, the consulate may – and generally does – require submission of the non-binding Form I-134 Affidavit of Support.  As with the Form I-864, this document is submitted by the U.S. citizen petitioner, promising to provide financial support for the foreign spouse. Unlike the Form I-864, however, courts have held that the Form I-134 is not an enforceable contract.

Following K1 visa approval at the U.S. consulate – unlike in marriage based cases – the fiance visa process is not complete. After entering the U.S. on the fiance visa, the couple has 90 days in which to be legally married. This 90-day limit is strictly enforced and jurisdictional. If the marriage is timely completed, the foreign spouse then files an I-485 Application to Adjust Status, seeking to acquire status as U.S. permanent resident. At this stage the U.S. petitioner concurrently files the I-864 financial support contract.

The adjustment of status application typically will be set for an interview at a USCIS Field Office, though approval is sometimes given without an interview. The time from filing to interview follows the same timeframe discussed in the next Section, below. Because the fiancé visa does not serve as work authorization, the foreign spouse is required to apply for work authorization concurrently with permanent residence. Work authorization should be issued in three months, and in any event the spouse will be authorized to work once the permanent residency application is approved.

Marriage Broker Regulation Act (IMBRA)

The International Marriage Broker Regulation Act (IMBRA) imposes further requirements on couples who met through a paid facilitator.  Passed in order to address violence towards “mail-order brides,” IMBRA imposes strict disclosure requirements both on both international marriage brokers and on the U.S. petitioner who meets a fiancé through such a service.  IMBRA exempts both culturally- or religiously-sanctioned matchmaking organizations, as well as dating services that are not geared principally at facilitating international courtship.  Additionally, IMBRA imposes criminal background restrictions on the U.S. petitioner. In most family-based immigration contexts, while strict criminal background standards are imposed on the foreign national, the background of the U.S. petitioner is immaterial. In the fiancé context, however, certain crimes by the U.S. petitioner – including documented violence and stalking – must be disclosed and documented.  A petitioner with such prior convictions may be required to seek a waiver before the petition may move forward.  Finally, IMBRA imposes rules on the number of successive fiancé petitions that U.S. citizen may file without having to seek special permission to petition.  In certain scenarios where the U.S. citizen has sponsored multiple foreign fiancés, a subsequently sponsored fiancé will be informed of this history by the State Department.

More resources

Understanding “administrative Processing”

Understanding “administrative processing”

The following materials are provided from a webinar hosted March 29, 2017 featuring guest speaker, Jay Gairson. Jay is an immigration and national security attorney in Seattle, Washington.  His clients are primarily from the Middle East, East Africa, and South Asia.  He regularly handles cases that receive additional fraud detection and national security review.  He uses systems thinking to evaluate…

read more
May I Visit The U.S. On A B-1/B-2 (or ESTA) After Filing An I-130 Or I-129F?

May I visit the U.S. on a B-1/B-2 (or ESTA) after filing an I-130 or I-129F?

It's just a fact - marriage and fiancé(e) visas take a long time. The process starts when the U.S. petitioner files an I-130 (marriage) or I-129F (fiancé(e)) petition. After the petition is filed, all you can do is wait for its approval. Recently, processing times have been between two and six months for the initial approval. For this reason, it's…

read more
Ink Signatures No Longer Required On I-864s For NVC

Ink signatures no longer required on I-864s for NVC

The Department of State announced yesterday that original ink signatures are no longer required on I-864 series forms. Instead, applicants may provide photocopies of the the form, rather than the original. This new policy will make it easier for applicants to comply with standards at the National Visa Center (NVC). The policy takes effect on January 1, 2017. The new…

read more
Understanding Immigrant Intent

Understanding immigrant intent

A U.S. immigration officer presumes that all persons travelling to the U.S. have “immigrant intent.” Immigrant intent means the person has the intention to stay permanently in the U.S.. If you are traveling to the U.S. on a temporary visa, you are required to prove that you do not plan to remain in the U.S. But the concept of immigrant…

read more

May 2016 Visa Bulletin – Family Preference

In this post you can find: The current Visa Bulletin's Chart A. The current Visa Bulletin's Chart B. Understanding the Visa Bulletin. Chart A The following are the Application Final Action Dates for Family-Sponsored Preference Cases , also called Chart A. Note: For May, F2A numbers Exempt from per-country limit are authorized for issuance to applicants from all countries with priority dates earlier than…

read more
My Petition Was Approved By USCIS – How Long Does It Take To Transfer To The NVC?

My petition was approved by USCIS – how long does it take to transfer to the NVC?

After a petition (I-129F or I-130) is approved by USCIS it will then be transferred to the National Visa Center (NVC). (For an overview of the process, follow this link). But how long does that take? Historically we've seen this process take between 30 and 60 days. But recently we've seen delays of up to five months! This can happen for…

read more
How To Prepare For A Visa Interview At A Consulate

How to prepare for a visa interview at a consulate

The day has finally come. It's been months and months since you filed the original petition. You've been through more paperwork than you can remember. Now, finally, it's time for your visa interview at the consulate. What can you do to maximize your chances of success? There are no secrets to a visa interview. But there are common sense steps…

read more
Op-ed: Fiancé Visa Disruption Would Impact Americans

Op-ed: Fiancé visa disruption would impact Americans

In this piece in the Tacoma News Tribune I argue that Americans will be hurt if the fiancé visa program becomes more difficult. Following the violence in San Bernardino there has been talk of ratcheting down on fiancé(e) visas, but behind every fiancé(e) visa is a U.S. citizen longing to be united with a loved one.

read more
I Got An Invoice From The National Visa Center (NVC), What Do I Do Next?

I got an invoice from the National Visa Center (NVC), what do I do next?

The National Visa Center (NVC) is where immigration cases can start to get really, really complicated. This post walks you through how to take care of paying your visa fee once you receive an invoice from the NVC.  We assume you're working on a family-based case for this discussion. Before you begin make sure you have (1) your NVC invoice…

read more
Understanding Marriage-related Immigration

Understanding marriage-related immigration

There are five basic ways in which marriage may facilitate a foreign national’s immigration to the United States. The first three are strategies available to a U.S. petitioner  who wishes to gain legal status for his spouse or fiancé(e). The fourth is available to a foreign spouse who finds herself in an abusive relationship with a U.S. citizen or resident.…

read more
How To Complete The Form I-864

How to Complete the Form I-864

Download this free Guide in .pdf format here   This Guide has been prepared for the purpose of providing general instructions for completing the Form I-864, Affidavit of Support. By using this Guide you agree that no attorney-client relationship exists between you and Sound Immigration nor any of its attorneys. This Guide is made available at no cost and may…

read more
Back To Top