Skip to content

How can I report marriage immigration fraud?

There are two main ways to file a report of marriage immigration fraud:

  1. Homeland Security Investigations (HIS) office of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). ICE is the enforcement arm of the immigration agencies – think of them as the immigration police. Their investigations office, HIS, has a marriage fraud tip line: 1-866-347-2423. The primary focus of their marriage fraud investigations is commercial criminal enterprises. They are mostly interested in investigating “mail-order” marriages, and scenarios where a U.S. citizen has been paid to marry a foreign national.
  2. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Serivces (USCIS). This option is appropriate especially if the couple’s immigration paperwork is still pending with USCIS. This could be the case if they are still waiting on an I-130/I-485 adjustment of status application, or an I-751 petition to remove conditions on residency. You may contact the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 to report fraud. Alternatively, you can visit to set an InfoPass appointment at the local USCIS office. To make the report, you should gather application receipt numbers for pending cases, as well as specific evidence of the alleged fraud. The information may get placed in the foreign spouse’s Alien file (the main immigration file), but there is no guaranteed mechanism to ensure this happens.

As a practical matter, these reports generally do not result in an investigation of the foreign spouse. When a couple separates there are often hard feelings on both sides, and the immigration authorities are well aware of this. Just as a divorce judge will be skeptical about allegations made by people in a divorce, the immigration authorities will take reports of fraud with a grain of salt.

2.8/5 - (61 votes)

Greg is recognized as the leading national authority on enforcement of the Form I-864, Affidavit of Support. Greg represents low-income green card holders in lawsuits to recover support from their sponsors. Practicing family-based immigration law, Greg also focuses on helping married and engaged couples with U.S. immigration.

This Post Has 6 Comments

  1. My brother in law remarried, however the woman that he married has mentioned on several occasions that she will leave him the second she gets her papers. I feel for him and would like to get him out of that situation.

    1. Hi, Shakeela. Your brother needs to talk to an immigration lawyer immediately. The financial sponsorship documents *cannot* be withdrawn once someone completes the immigration process. So if he is actually getting scammed by this individual he needs to decide now whether to withdraw his petition and support contract, otherwise it will be too late.

  2. I want to si if you can help me i got married in 2010 with a women that a thought she was the one but as soon I fix her papers as soon she got the permit. We start to have problems in till we got divorced. I want to know if there is a way to take away her resident card.because she played me.she used me to become legal

    1. Hi, Hector: This is not a case type that we work with at the firm. A visa petitioner certainly has the right to report suspected fraud as described in this post. But the petitioner has no private ability to bring a lawsuit or otherwise take away the person’s greencard.

  3. I want to talk to some one who can help me with the case of inmigracion fraud, please help me I’m just want to talk to someone who can help me thank you,
    Luis taveras
    1917 832 2321

Comments are closed.

Back To Top