- This event has passed.
Immigration and Adoption – an Introduction
July 20, 2016 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pmFree - $10
The intersection of immigration and adoption law is notoriously complicated. This webinar will help you understand the basic substantive and procedural law governing the immigration of adopted children. Learn from Gretchen Korb-Nice, an experience lawyer who’s practice is dedicated to this specialized area. Registration is free, or $10 for those wanting Washington MCLE credit (1 general credit pending approval).
Topics that we will cover include:
- Definition of “child” under the INA.
- Hague vs. non-Hague adoptions – what’s the difference and why does it matter?
- U.S. court jurisdiction over finalizing adoptions.
- Understanding the three requirements of a valid adoption under the UNA.
- Strategies for children adopted after age 16.
- Alternative strategies to adoption.
- Adoption of “orphans.”
- Derivative citizenship for adoptees.
About the presenter
Gretchen Korb-Nice is a Washington attorney focusing on immigration and adoption. As an attorney at Holman Cahill, Gretchen assists clients with domestic adoptions in Washington State and with international adoptions from across the globe. At Sound Immigration, we consider Gretchen to be one of the leading practitioners in this area of law, and she is one of the first lawyers we refer these issues to. You couldn’t learn this area of law from a better person!