Legal expertise you can trust, a lawyer you can count on.
Minda A. Thorward
I left the corporate and big firm world to pursue my passion: immigration law. I believe immigrant rights are human rights, and I am a passionate advocate of each, both professionally and personally. After a decade as an attorney working for big law firms and corporations, I decided it was time for a new professional path. I wanted to start using my skills, experience, and education for work I was truly passionate about.
My parents, a Peace Corp Volunteer and a civilian nurse, had fallen in love while stationed in the Philippines. Growing up in a family that embraced multiculturalism, I learned to value diversity, social justice, and human rights. During my first career in corporate legal settings, I devoted many hours to volunteer work, but there was never enough time for doing the work I was truly passionate about. I finally decided to leave my position as a senior compliance attorney to focus my legal practice exclusively on immigration law. My professional life is now fully devoted to work that I’m truly passionate about it – immigration law – and it’s been a welcome change.
Before moving to the Pacific Northwest in early 2014, I lived and worked in Baltimore City, Maryland for 10 years. My prior practice experience includes real estate, small business law, compliance, regulatory advisement, and also non-traditional roles, such as legal research consultant. In addition to Sound Immigration, I am also a solo practitioner, as owner and managing attorney of Thorward Immigration Law, PLLC.
My parents – the Peace Corp volunteer and civilian nurse mentioned above – traveled to all corners of the globe, and I have followed in their footsteps, traveling throughout Central and South America, and Western Europe. In addition to traveling, I am a locavore foodie, yoga devotee, and runner, and enjoy hiking and cooking with my husband and our three-year-old daughter.
- Thorward Immigration Law, PLLC (Immigration Attorney)
- Ameritrust Legal Group, LLC (Senior Compliance Attorney)
- Lexis Nexis Corporation (Legal Research Consultant, Government Sector)
- Friedman & MacFadyen, P.A.
- University of Baltimore School of Law (Juris Doctorate)
- Northwest Immigrant Rights Project (Seattle, WA)
- KIND: Kids In Need of Defense (Seattle, WA)
- Legal Voice (Seattle, WA)
- SBG/LGAW Legal Clinic (Seattle, WA)
- ACLU of Washington (Seattle, WA)
- Public Justice Center (Baltimore, MD)
- Women’s Law Center of Maryland (Baltimore, MD)
- Naral (Baltimore, MD)
- Planned Parenthood of Maryland (Baltimore, MD)
- House of Ruth Maryland (Baltimore, MD)